As you know, once in a while I randomly post “Ask Me Anything” (makeup related) on my social media pages. Sometimes I am able to answer these questions right on the spot; others I like to blog about. I received a great question from a fellow makeup artist and thought it would be really fun to answer it here!
Q: What are your absolute top ten makeup must haves for your kit?
A: This is a fabulous question! Each makeup artist has their favorites depending on what type of work they do. Here are my top ten makeup must haves for my kit. Even if you aren’t a professional makeup artist, you may find some of these items useful and can be a nice addition to your makeup bag. 😉
- A good eyelash curler is essential. You will see a noticeable difference once lashes are curled properly and can really open up the eye! Try out the Kevyn Aucoin Eyelash Curler, winner of Allure’s “Best of Beauty” Award for Best Eyelash Curler. You can even use this curler upside down for bottom lashes!
- The Beauty Blender Pro Sponge Applicator and Cleanser is a must have item! This product was invented by a pro makeup artist so that you can achieve a flawless complexion without streaks. This sponge is non allergenic and latex free. I love that the sponge is black and comes with the solid cleanser! ♥
- I admit I have a slight obsession with pigments. What girl doesn’t love a bit of glitter here and there? 😉 My favorite is the MAC Pigment. These are highly concentrated loose color powder. You can create a subtle wash of color or an intense effect. I love using these pigments for prom and wedding makeup applications!
- A complete set of makeup brushes is a must have for my makeup kit. I love Sigma Beauty’s Complete Kit which has the essentials that a pro makeup artist would need. For those that aren’t pro artists, I recommend the Sigma Beauty Premium Kit which has all the brushes you need for a daily makeup application.
- Waterproof mascara is a must! There are a million great mascaras on the market and it’s hard to pick just one! Diorshow Iconic Overcurl Waterproof Mascara is great and doesn’t clump. As a makeup artist, I make sure to have packs of disposable mascara wands on hand for sanitary purposes.
- I’m obsessed with brows and must have eyebrow gel in my kit. I like using MAC Brow Set, which is a brush-on gel that is available in different shades. This gel gives the brows a nice natural look!
- While we are on the subject of brows, I find that having my Sigma Beauty Brow Expert Kit on hand is helpful and contains a collection of seven fundamental tools and tints needed to arch, shape and groom the brows. I also use some of these tools for applying lashes.
- False lashes are a makeup artist must have! I use these most for formal makeup applications and wedding makeup. I like MAC 36 Lash and also Napoleon Perdis Calla Faux Lashes. I also find that MAC 30 Lash, which are individual lashes, work very well for a natural look.
- Liquid and cream foundations are a makeup must have for my kit. I like to have a variety for the different skin types that I’m working with. My latest obsession is the Face Atelier Ultra Foundation Pro. This pro formula comes in tiny plastic bottles which is a great space saver in my kit. I use this foundation mostly for makeup print work and some bridal makeup applications.
- I like to lightly (let me stress the word “lightly”) 😉 highlight and contour with powders during a makeup application. There are a bunch of different kits on the market. Here are my favorites: Anastasia Beverly Hills Contour Kit, Smashbox Step-By-Step Contour Kit, and Make Up For Ever Sculpting Kit.
I hope you enjoyed reading my top ten makeup must haves for my kit. Feel free to share your favorites!
♥ Debra Johnson Makeup Artist Orange County, California
Don’t forget to share, comment, and subscribe!
SUBSCRIBE TO MY BLOG!